Badagas are no exception in treating girls as NOT equal(s) to boys.
Let us change that perception !
Did you know?
- Roughly 1.65 billion women and girls around the world are officially classed as “poor”. This is double the amount of men in the same category.
- 35% of women worldwide have been subjected to either physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence.
- One in three girls in low and middle income countries will marry before the age of 18 and one in nine will marry before they reach their 15th birthday.
- Pregnancy and childbirth complications kill more 15-19 year old girls around the world than any other cause.
- Half of all sexual assaults are against girls aged 15 and under.
- Every year 47,000 women and girls die from unsafe abortions.
Remember ….Empowering a girl is empowering the whoe family and society!
You can also sign I DECIDE MY FUTURE petition that will be sent to UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon in the summer of 2015 with a million signatures!
Dharmalingam VenugopalIt is said a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture was taken in the 1960s at a match factory in Sivakasi by Late Philo Hiruthayanath to highlight the plight of child labour.Hiruthayanath is no more but the child may be around, about the same age as Kailash Satyarthi, the Nobel laureate who has been recognized for fighting child labour world wide. Perhaps it was a sight like this which inspired him.