Pratheepan Raju posted this info in FB [http://www.facebook.com/groups/badagas/doc/430310926984904/]
This is a work of Late Thyagi. K.P.Raju Gowder of KADASOLAI Village who was Author of the local Nilgiri magazine called “ARAAICH [Araachi?]” in which he had published 13 issues.
The Badaga community, like several communities of India is formed of different Clans(KOLA) affiliated to different Totems.
The various clans and their totems are as follows:
1. Forefathers of Solur Group – NAGA (COBRA)
2. Forefathers of Thoodagur Group – ANEY (ELEPHANT)
3. Forefathers of Doddur Group – MARI (GODDESS MARI)
4. Forefathers of Sinnakunnur – Kethi – Kundha Group – KASTURI (MUSK DEER)
5. Forefathers of Hebbanadu – Halhattane – Thangadu Group – MANIKKA (CARBUNCLE STONE)
Forefathers of Meekeri – Ithalar – Balakola Group – MANIKKA (CARBUNCLE STONE)
Forefathers of Horanally – Porthy Group – MANIKKA (CARBUNCLE STONE)
Forefathers of Bembatti – Belida Group – MANIKKA (CARBUNCLE STONE)
Forefathers of Kasoley-Mandhanai Group – MANIKKA (CARBUNCLE STONE)
Forefathers of Jakkanarai Group – MANIKKA (CARBUNCLE STONE)
Forefathers of Kateri Ajjur Group – MANIKKA (CARBUNCLE STONE)
6. Forefathers of Adhikari Group – KOVERU (WHITE HORSE)
7. Forefathers of Kagguchchi- Jagadala Group – BELLIE (SILVER)
8. Forefathers of Pannemanai-Kenduva Group – SELANDI (SPIDER)
9. Forefathers of Porangadu Group – MADHUVA (HONEY BEE).
Each clan is exogamous, i.e., man belonging to one clan cannot marry the girls of the same clans as they are the descendants from the same ancestors. Men of one clan can marry girls of different clans affiliated to different totem.
Direct words from from his piece –
“It is claimed that the main merkunadu group,viz, the Hebanad-Halatanai-Thangadu group and the Jakkanarai group are descended from the same forefather. The Late A.N. Kadagowder, former Moniagar of Merkunad, Denad Village and the Late.M.Doddayya Gowder of Halattanai informed the author (Late.Thyagi.K.P.Raju Gowder) that the forefather of the Jakkanarai group of the Badagas was uterine brother of Huliajja, Guruajja and Haraajja, the forefathers of the main group of the merkunad people. The Jakkanarai forefather Batti Hettappa joined the Porangadu forefathers at Thalaimalai and accompanied them to Betalada where he married Yelingi Amma, the sister of 7 forefathers of Porangadu people. The above informants asserted that they belong to the MANIKA CLAN.”